Our story
“IN CHRIST THE WHOLE BUILDING IS JOINED TOGETHER AND RISES TO BECOME A HOLY TEMPLE IN THE LORD.” Ep. 2:21
Constructed of locally made concrete block simulating rusticated (country-like) and smooth stone, this structure was completed in 1906 replacing the original frame structure built in 1885 at the northwest corner of Patterson and Saunders streets. Vigorously bracketed gables and bell-cast eaves accent the sanctuary and tower roofs. The modified cruci-form plan has a balcony between the entry towers on the Saunders Street elevation. The sanctuary interior features opalescent stained glass windows and dark-stained wood pilasters on the long front and rear walls.
The church was first organized about 1884 from a series of Camp Meetings held by traveling evangelists in the vicinity, since some time before the American Revolution. The first minister was Reverend Daniel May. He was pastor of Red Bank Circuit which included the Churches at Red Springs, Red Bank and Hebron. Mr. May lived in the thriving lumber town of Red Bank.
About 1887 the name of the church was changed to Shoe Heel Mission since that was the name of our town then. It remained small, but growing fast as a port of a circuit. Finally after about twenty years the congregation launched a great building project on the lot donated by Mr. A. J. McKinnon. The Reverend E. McWorter was pastor at the time of construction. Mr. John B. Gibson, grandfather of Mr. Paul S. Steed, Jr., made all the blocks used in building the church. He was assisted by volunteers and some hired labor in making the blocks and Mr. Steed can remember as a small boy that he rolled the wheelbarrows containing sand used in the blocks. Mr. Gibson secured the services of a man from the western part of the state to make all the other masonry that went into the church. In 1906 when the building was done, the church was recognized by conference as being ready to be a station (standing alone) with its own pastor. At about this time the name of the church was changed from Methodist Episcopal Church, South, to St. Paul’s Methodist Church. The source of that choice of a name is not known to us, but the new name appears on the corner stone dated 1906.
The community of Shoe Heel, now known as Maxton, was settled between 1750 and 1800 mostly by people from Scotland. It is known that itinerant preachers held services there from time to time, however just when Methodists organized a church is not precisely known. It may be that the date, 1876, shown on the cornerstone of the present church was based upon the first Sunday School – but the first reliable records in 1884 already show the Shoe Heel Methodist as a thriving part of what was then known as the Red Banks circuit for itinerant preaching. Since there was no church building in town, services were held in a carriage or buggy shop, owned by Burns Brothers. The Reverend Daniel May is listed as Pastor of the church which was called “Ashpole Mission,” but became known as “Shoe Heel Mission” about 1887 when the first permanent building was completed.
After the Reverend Mr. May, other early pastors were Reverend F. B. Culbreth, Reverend J. A. Hornaday, (who also served again later), and Reverend W. S. Hales, under whose leadership the “Maxton-Caledonia” charge was formed.
St. Paul’s has enjoyed over a century of faithful worship and service in the community of Maxton. Its members have been leaders in the community and beyond. Its Pastors have been highly regarded throughout the North Carolina Conference, but perhaps the richest memories are reserved for two of the most faithful members: Uncle Dave Pierce and Sallie Lou McKinnon. David A. Pierce served at home, guiding the primary department program with love and joy until 1938 when he suffered an attack of typhus fever. His services are memorialized by our Baptismal Font. Sallie Lou McKinnon served the church in foreign fields. She was appointed in 1917 to China, and eventually traveled the world for the cause of missions. A beautiful porcelain plaque is on the Sanctuary wall in St. Paul’s to remind us all what can be done in the continuing work of Christ.
In 1979, the Education Building containing a Fellowship Hall, a kitchen and 5 classrooms and a parlor was built. Two stain glass windows were added later to help to beautify the building.
Recent Preachers are:
B. Tyson
Presnell
Aycook
Skinner
Hall
Willingham
Killian
Caviness
V. Tyson
Ball
Partida
Sources: Ruth Cottingham’s History of the Church
Philip S. Letsinger’s Inventory of Historic Architecture of Maxton, North Carolina
Selected portions from prior directories
Therefore welcome one another as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God.
—Romans 15:7